Physical Activity for a Stronger You - National Women's Health Week 2023
Regular physical activity is one of the most important things a woman can do to stay healthy. There are many benefits to being physically active such as improving brain health, managing weight, reducing the risk of disease, strengthening bones and muscles, and improving the ability to do everyday activities.
- The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services recommends that women of all ages and abilities get at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity and 2 days of muscle strengthening activity a week.
- You can download the complete Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans and discover even more great benefits and recommendations about staying physically active throughout your life.
- One great approach to staying active is to create a physical activity plan that works with your lifestyle and can be maintained for the long run.
- The plan should include the goal of raising your heart rate by performing moderate-intensity aerobic exercise for 150 minutes each week.
- Did you know that activities such as gardening, house cleaning, and walking the dog are considered physical activities?
- Check out the CDC list containing other moderate and vigorous activities which you may enjoy adding to your exercise plan.
- Researchers have discovered that regular exercise can help women throughout their lives
- Exercising regularly can lead to fewer painful cramps during menstruation for some women.
- During pregnancy, physical activity is recommended for healthy women, as it can reduce the risk of excessive weight gain, gestational diabetes, and postpartum depression.
- Exercising during, and after, menopause offers benefits, including prevention of weight gain, reducing the risk of some cancers and diseases, strengthening bones, and boosting mood.
- The U.S. Department of Agriculture also provides some great free video and web resources, including how you can have a workout in just 10 minutes and how you can boost your performance with yoga.
- You can check out more resources from Nutrition.gov.
One of the best things a woman can do is to nourish her body with regular and on-going physical activity and exercise.