A project of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office on Women's Health

Skip Navigation

Womens Health logo
En Español

Violence Against Women

divider line

Court order of protection (restraining order)


Click the red escape button above to immediately leave this site if your abuser may see you reading it.


If you are being abused, you can get a court order of protection to protect yourself and your children.

A court order of protection can:

  • Order the abuser not to have any contact with you and your children
  • Order the abuser to move out of your home and give you use of the car
  • Order the abuser to pay child support or spousal support, or to continue your insurance coverage

You can get an application for a court order of protection at courthouses, women's shelters, lawyers' offices, and some police stations.

If an order is issued and the abuser does anything listed on the order, call the police right away. The abuser can be arrested for violating the order.

An order of protection is just one way of protecting yourself and your children. Contact a local domestic violence agency to talk about other options.

Other names for court orders of protection:

  • Civil protection order
  • Domestic violence protection or protective order
  • Emergency, temporary, or ex parte order
  • Harassment order
  • Injunction for protection
  • Order of no contact
  • Orders not to abuse, harass, contact, etc. that are part of bail, probation, or parole conditions
  • Protection from abuse order
  • Restraining order
  • Stalking protection or protective order
  • Stay away order

Return to top

More information on Court order of protection (restraining order)

Explore other publications and websites

Connect with other organizations

Content last updated: May 18, 2011.

Return to top