A project of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office on Women's Health

Skip Navigation

Womens Health logo


divider line

Share your story

Women all across the country are affected by HIV/AIDS. Some women are living with HIV while holding down jobs and taking care of families. Other women are caregivers to family members or friends with HIV. Here, you can read some of their stories or share your own.

Share Your Story submissions are currently unavailable. Please check back soon.

Community stories

Please note: Posted stories do not necessarily represent the views of womenshealth.gov. Please view our comment policy.

PREV Page 9 of 12 NEXT
Child of God from MN
February 01, 2011 10:57 AM
Hello to all my sisters. I am now 35 years old. I first found out I was HIV positive in 2000. This happened after the man I love became extremely sick. At first when I found out, I reacted just like anyone else. I thought my life was over. My mother was saddened by the news. I was scared to tell anyone. I fell hard into depression. I drank, smoked weed and was just slowly killing myself. Until one day, at my lowest point just before death, God whispered in my ear, "Is this really you? I can save you if you let me." From that moment I made a choice. I gave my life to God. Living with God is easy. It is a joyful and wonderful process. The hardest part is living without God. To all women who are living with HIV or have just been tested positive, there is hope. We have a savior that will help all. Today, I live single, waiting for God to provide me a helper, minister to others, and try to do the work of my Lord. Stay strong, read the bible daily, pray, and let Go! Allow God to work in you, and you will see that life is really worth living!!
Korrin from OK
January 08, 2011 17:57 PM
My name is Korrin. I was just 15 years old when I started to get sick. I could not figure out what was going on -- back and forth to the doctors and nothing. Then they did the test --an HIV test on April 9, 1999. We were called into my doctor's office, not knowing what was really going on. I was confused. I noticed that there were no kids in the waiting room. No one there????? We were taken into one of the rooms, where a doctor from Wisconsin, my nurse, and my pediatrician were waiting. Sick and confused, I saw the look in my parents eyes, and I started to worry. Then I heard it's not good and the tears started to flow. My dad held me tight and just cried. My doctor lets us know that there were specialists coming to see us and talk to us about HIV/AIDS. Time seemed to stand still, and all I could think was, “I am going to die.” All I can really remember is meeting a nurse and a doctor from Wisconsin. We went home, and life was not the same. We wanted to close and lock our doors and never be seen again! But, I had school and doctor appointments! We tried our best to go on like nothing happened. But when questions started coming, we could not stay quiet about it. I took 36 pills three times a day. When I did return back to school, only half days, I felt like I could trust one person, my best friend Tabby. She kept it to herself and stayed my friend. But our friendship had to end. Teachers kept it quiet. Almost a year went by, and I wanted to get a job. I felt up to it, so I applied at our local IGA grocery store. I landed the job, and I let them know I had HIV because there were going to be times that I would have to take a break and take pills or miss a day of work and also just in case I got hurt. I was excited I got this job! I worked three hours of training that day. They told me I could go home and they would call me on Monday. Well they called, but I was in school. My mom took the phone call for me and was going to write down my schedule. Instead she wrote, "Is it true your daughter has HIV?" I know she was hurt by this. My dad came and picked me up from school, and I asked him if they had called. He told me that they called and it was nothing I did ... and that we would talk about it when we got home. That is when I found out! My parents called who they needed to and we sued them for discrimination. Life continued to go on after that. I started to public speak and educate teens and adults about HIV/AIDS and went to a camp called Camp Heartland, which is now called One Heartland, a place I will never forget. I met many other kids and adults that were going though the same thing as me. It was another home, a place I did not want to leave because I was safe from all the negative people. I met many people on the Internet and became really good friends with this one guy. We talked though emails and chat, phone and letters. He knew what I was going though, and we just clicked. I graduated from high school in 2004. In 2005, I moved to Oklahoma to meet with the man I met on the Internet. I did not know if it was going to work, but I took a chance. I was sick and tired of boys! Feeling sorry for myself, I got to Oklahoma on January 15th and by the 18th, I was married!!! I know you are think “wow!” I was happy. My husband and I had been married for 7months when I found out I was pregnant with our child. We were scared. We talked with the doctors and found out new information. As long as I stayed on my meds, the baby would only have a 4 percent chance of getting HIV. Well I stayed on my meds, and in March 2006, our son David was born. We was 5 pounds 8 ounces and 22 inches long. He was in the NICU for a week. He was put on HIV medicines, just as a precaution. We got to take him home, and 6 weeks later, had another test done on him and it was negative!!!! He is now almost 5 years old and still tests negative! My husband and I have been happily married going on 6 years! That is the story about my HIV with some events taken out. I will say that I had a good childhood growing up, camping and bowling, and grandma's house and out to the farm and much more! Thank you!
Da'niece from VA
December 27, 2010 21:47 PM
Hello all, well my story is what it is. I am 32, and just a few months ago the results for my HIV test came back positive. My ex and I were supposed to get married. But he beat me one night, and I couldn't take it anymore. He was a drug user of crack, and I should have known one day he would bring me something. We were together for 5 years. I have 3 kids, and he has 2. We had been through so much with his drugs and our relationship. When we first met, we hit it off well, and when it came down to having sex, I told him no love without the glove. When we got to the point of the no glove part, I told him we were to be in this forever and ever. This is before I found out about the drugs, and when I did find out about the drug usage, we'd already fell in love. So I tried to help him, and he tried seeking help, nothing. The day I found out I was positive was actually on his birthday. Wow, huh? I was sleep in my bed. The clinic called and woke me. I had planned on not answering because I didn't know the number. They told me I needed to come and discuss my results. My heart immediately started to race because I've been tested before and they told me if my test was to be positive, than I would be called. With the tests before, I never got a call. The whole ride over was horrific. “I know I'm HIV positive so just be prepared” is what I kept telling myself, and low and behold, I was positive. I didn't cry. I didn't have a clue how I was. I have thought before about him and his drugs and me having an STD, but he didn't shoot up. So I figured he'd had sex with someone else unprotected. I had a boyfriend [when I got tested], and still have him. At the time, it took me a month before I told him. We didn't have sex – I made sure of that. But we had had sex unprotected right before I got tested, so I had to tell him. He went with me for the test, so he knew I was waiting for the results. I only went in to the office about a yeast infection. When I told him, I told him we shouldn't be together. He said that his love for me won't change, and we are still together today. He and my parents know. I am afraid and don't know when or how to tell my kids. They are teens. I have yet to tell my siblings. I don't know how they will feel. I know they will say things like “I told you to leave that dude alone a long time ago.”I have spoken to my ex. He has called. I don't hate him. I will always love him. I did tell him to get tested and he cried for me and told me if the man I'm with doesn't want me, he'd take me. Ha! Ha! Ha! He had a good heart, but the drugs ruined him. He told me he'd contact me once he got his results. It's been two or 3 months now, and I still haven't heard from him. He doesn't think he gave it to me. I've slept with two other people before him and tested negative way before he came along. The whole time we were together, I was only with him. He thinks the other guys may be the carrier. But I know it was him. I don't think much about being HIV positive -- every now and then. I'm not on medicine. I just had lab work done that I'm waiting on. I have no symptoms of anything. I haven't been ill in a very long time. I mean years and still counting. When I do think about it, I think mainly about my kids. I'm learning that this isn't a death sentence. I still have to get a grip on that because I was afraid I won't see my son as a man and my diamonds as women in this world. I am unemployed and it doesn't help. I'm looking for motivation daily. My man keeps me on my p's and q's about my doctor visits and other things. I'm not sure how long he's going to be around because we have our battles. Shoot, we had battle before this, and this isn't making things better. I think it will all kick into gear mentally if and once I have to start taking medicine daily. I'm not very scared, but I am scared. I know God is on my side at all times.
Sharon from PA
December 03, 2010 09:31 AM
I have been living with HIV since 1985. I was one of the first females in my area living with this illness. I never thought I would be alive this long. In 1985 they were giving people 1 year to live with this disease. I have been blessed to have good doctors working with me, and I have been adhering to the medication well. I had three children all who tested negative for the virus. It has not been easy living with this, but I learned to educate myself, build a strong relationship with my doctors, and continue to live a healthy lifestyle.
Desi from CA
November 14, 2010 21:05 PM
Hello to all my HIV+ sisters. I will like to tell my story, hoping it will be a help to someone who needs encouragement. I was diagnosed with HIV in 1999, and I'm now 40 years old. I had been celibate for almost three years after giving my life to Jesus Christ. I was so happy with my new life and beautiful 8-year-old daughter the Lord helped me to raise on my own. I had so much going for me. But the single life took its toll, and I began to feel lonely. I constantly dreamed of being married and my daughter having a father figure in her life. Well to make this long story short, I thought I met the man of my dreams and my prayers were answered. I met this man at a church I had attended. He was handsome, nice, and also, come to find out, a minister. We dated a couple of times and had established a relationship, or so I thought. I had found myself so engulfed in him that all logic left. All that I stood for in my faith went right out the window, and we began having a sexual relationship. Dumb and naïve, I allowed myself to have unprotected sex with someone I thought I knew. He asked me to marry him and we were so-called engaged, but something just didn't feel right. I felt in my heart that this man didn't love me. He wasn't being honest and was hiding something. Well, what I'm about to share I'm not at all proud of ... I got pregnant and terminated it. "He didn't want a baby with me," he said. "So hey, you know what we have to do, I'll take you.” So I went along with it and I wish to this day I could change it. A month after the abortion, I started having flu-like symptoms. I knew in my heart this wasn't normal and shouldn't feel like this. I made a doctor's appointment, and they asked me to take an HIV test. I had been tested twice before I gave my life to Christ and once before my affair with him, and all of them were negative. Well, a week went by and a nurse called me at work to come to the clinic. The tone in her voice seemed strange so I asked her to please tell me the matter over the phone. I already knew in my heart the outcome — I tested positive. My whole world came crashing down. All of these thoughts filled my mind, like God was punishing me for all my sins: fornication, idolatry, and murder. I almost felt like I deserved this death sentence. I worried about my daughter growing up without a mother — how unfair I had been to her. What and how was I going to cope with this? I struggled with my faith, but Jesus was the only one who could help me. I prayed and asked God for forgiveness. The Lord has been my anchor and has helped me through this. Without Him I wouldn't have made it. I was put back on therapy after 10 years, and I'm again so far undetectable. Right now I'm experiencing shingles, and I'm not sure what's going on. All I know is that God loves me and He is my help. Also, please don't let me leave this out. The Lord blessed my daughter and I with a wonderful, God-fearing, loving, handsome, and spirit-filled man. We've been married for 3 years now. God is still in the blessing business! So hold on my sista's. What God has done for me, He'll do for you! KEEP THE FAITH.
PREV Page 9 of 12 NEXT

Content last updated November 29, 2012.

Return to top