Tips To Help You Make Healthy Choices
Do you want to eat healthier? Well, now's the perfect time to start — March is National Nutrition Month! This month, we're reminded of the importance of making smart food choices and developing healthy eating and physical activity habits.
Easier said than done, we know.
Building healthy eating habits doesn't happen overnight, but there are simple steps you can take every day to make smarter choices.
- Find out how much food you actually need. You can get personalized nutrition information based on your age, gender, height, weight, and physical activity level at SuperTracker.usda.gov. The SuperTracker even helps you track your health goals. Get started today — it's easy to use and free!
- Enjoy your food, but eat less. Use a smaller plate at meals to help you control the amount of food you eat.
- Build strong bones. Choose foods such as fat-free and low-fat milk, cheese, yogurt, and fortified soymilk to help strengthen bones. Give your bones an extra boost by adding fat-free or low-fat milk to your morning coffee.
- Make half of your plate fruits and vegetables. They're low in fat and calories, while providing fiber and other important nutrients. Try swapping your usual dessert for fruit!
- Eat more whole grains. Choose whole grains like brown rice and whole-grain pastas and breads more often. Foods with lots of fiber can help you feel full longer. Plus, they provide key nutrients.
- Drink plenty of water. Skip sugary drinks and sip on water instead. Add a slice of lemon or lime for a little extra taste. Water and other drinks with few or no calories can help you maintain a healthy weight.
These are just a few tips to help you get started. You can find more easy-to-follow suggestions on healthy eating at ChooseMyPlate.gov. The Ten Tips Nutrition Education Series offers manageable tips for women, men, teen girls, and teen boys. There are also tips on topics such as eating better on a budget, making better beverage choices, and being a healthy role model for children. With over 30 lists, there's something for everyone! The best part? You can print them out and put them on the fridge! They're also available in Spanish.
Eating healthy may be easier than you think. Just remember, you don't have to make a bunch of changes all at once. Choose a change that you can make today, and start moving toward a healthier you. Help others in your life make smarter food choices by sharing this blog post with them. Everyone can benefit from Ten Tips!