Health Tip: Ice Skate Safely
(HealthDay News) -- Ice skating is a great way to make the best of the cold winter weather while getting some exercise.
The National Safety Council offers this advice before you lace up your skates:
- Make sure skates fit well and provide proper ankle support.
- Before the first skate of the season, make sure blades are professionally sharpened.
- Know the basics about skating, such as how to stop and safely fall.
- If skating outdoors, skate in safe, prepared areas that are sure to hold up under your weight.
- Inspect skating areas for cracks, holes and debris.
- Never go skating by yourself.
- Dress in warm clothing, and take a break when you feel tired or cold.