Health Tip: Using a Generator Safely
(HealthDay News) -- A portable generator can be a great source of power and comfort during electrical outages. But it's vital to take precautions to prevent deadly carbon monoxide poisoning.
The U.S. Fire Administration offers these safety tips when using a portable generator:
- Only use a generator outdoors, and never place it close to windows, vents or doors.
- Never use a generator inside a basement, crawl space, garage or any area with a partial enclosure, even if there appears to be adequate ventilation.
- Always follow the manufacturer's instructions.
- Install a carbon monoxide detector in your home, and make sure it has a battery backup.
- Frequently test your CO detector and replace the battery as needed.