Subscribe to news email updates.
Health Tip: Caring for an Older Person's Teeth
(HealthDay News) -- As people age and have trouble caring for themselves, they may also struggle to care for their mouths and teeth.
The American Dental Association offers these tips for people who care for seniors:
- Remind them to brush and floss their teeth daily.
- If they have trouble brushing or flossing, a dentist or hygienist should be able to offer suggestions.
- Schedule regular dental checkups.
- Consider possible denture problems if you notice changes in an older person's eating habits.
- Don't neglect an older person's dental care, since bacteria from the mouth ultimately can trigger pneumonia.
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
HealthDay news articles are derived from various sources and do not reflect federal policy. Womenshealth.gov does not endorse opinions, products, or services that may appear in news stories.
A federal government website managed by the Office on Women's Health in the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
200 Independence Avenue, S.W. • Washington, DC 20201