Subscribe to news email updates.
Health Tip: Gear Up for Safe Soccer
(HealthDay News) -- Proper technique, protection and training are essential to preventing soccer injuries.
The American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons offers these safety suggestions for soccer players:
- Stay in good physical shape, even in the off-season, with regular exercise and strength training.
- Always warm up and stretch before playing.
- Always cool down and stretch after playing.
- Be sure to drink enough water before and during play.
- Always wear proper safety gear, including shin guards and shoes with ribbed soles or molded cleats.
- When the field is wet, use soccer balls made of synthetic, nonabsorbent materials, instead of leather.
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
HealthDay news articles are derived from various sources and do not reflect federal policy. Womenshealth.gov does not endorse opinions, products, or services that may appear in news stories.
A federal government website managed by the Office on Women's Health in the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
200 Independence Avenue, S.W. • Washington, DC 20201