Subscribe to news email updates.
Health Tip: Prevent Traveler's Diarrhea
(HealthDay News) -- If you're visiting a country where the water may not be germ-free, you can take steps to preserve your vacation or business trip by preventing traveler's diarrhea.
The American Academy of Family Physicians offers these suggestions:
- Don't drink or brush your teeth with water from the tap, and avoid ice unless you know it was made with purified water.
- Make sure the seal is intact on any bottle of purified water before you drink.
- Avoid consuming any unpasteurized dairy foods or drinks, as well as any fruits or vegetables that can't be peeled.
- Avoid leafy vegetables (such as lettuce or spinach) and fruit salad.
- Don't eat raw or rare meat, or seafood.
- Don't buy food off the street.
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
HealthDay news articles are derived from various sources and do not reflect federal policy. Womenshealth.gov does not endorse opinions, products, or services that may appear in news stories.
A federal government website managed by the Office on Women's Health in the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
200 Independence Avenue, S.W. • Washington, DC 20201