Subscribe to news email updates.
Health Tip: Prepare Children for Sleep
(HealthDay News) -- Young children need plenty of quality sleep each night, but meeting that goal can be a struggle for parents.
The National Sleep Foundation offers these suggestions to help make sleep time for children easier:
- As much as possible, make sure children go to bed and wake up at the same time each day.
- Follow a consistent, soothing bedtime routine.
- Set, explain and enforce limits for children at bedtime.
- Encourage children to sleep with a comfort item, such as a blanket or small stuffed animal.
- Make sure children sleep in the same room each night. The room should be cool, dark and quiet, with nothing stimulating, such as a television.
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
HealthDay news articles are derived from various sources and do not reflect federal policy. Womenshealth.gov does not endorse opinions, products, or services that may appear in news stories.
A federal government website managed by the Office on Women's Health in the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
200 Independence Avenue, S.W. • Washington, DC 20201