Subscribe to news email updates.
Health Tip: Comforting Baby's Pain
(HealthDay News) -- When your baby is in pain -- be it from things like a circumcision, vaccine or incoming tooth -- parents can take steps to soothe, comfort and ease the pain as much as possible.
The University of Michigan Health System offers these suggestions:
- Cuddle your baby, and try to have skin-to-skin contact.
- Distract your baby by singing, cuddling, talking or moving.
- Nurse your baby if you are breast-feeding.
- If you aren't nursing, dip a pacifier in a sugar/water solution, but never honey.
- Ask your doctor about administering a pain-relieving medication designed for infants.
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
HealthDay news articles are derived from various sources and do not reflect federal policy. Womenshealth.gov does not endorse opinions, products, or services that may appear in news stories.
A federal government website managed by the Office on Women's Health in the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
200 Independence Avenue, S.W. • Washington, DC 20201