Subscribe to news email updates.
Health Tip: Managing a Hammertoe
(HealthDay News) -- A hammertoe occurs when the toe muscle bends the toe at the first joint, making the side view of the toe resemble an upside down "v".
The American Podiatric Medical Association suggests how to relieve the pain and discomfort of a hammertoe:
- Apply a non-medicated hammertoe pad on the bony area.
- Wear loose-fitting shoes with plenty of room in the toes.
- Place an ice pack several times a day on the toe.
- Don't wear heels that are taller than 2 inches.
- Visit a podiatrist if your hammertoe still causes pain.
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
HealthDay news articles are derived from various sources and do not reflect federal policy. Womenshealth.gov does not endorse opinions, products, or services that may appear in news stories.
A federal government website managed by the Office on Women's Health in the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
200 Independence Avenue, S.W. • Washington, DC 20201