Subscribe to news email updates.
Health Tip: How to Protect Seniors From Injury
(HealthDay News) -- Creating a home safety checklist can help seniors prevent injuries and let them prepare if they happen to fall or hurt themselves.
The Cleveland Clinic offers these guidelines for seniors and their loved ones:
- Start a list of emergency numbers -- including poison control, fire, police and the number of a neighbor.
- Make sure there is always a phone within reach.
- Install smoke detectors and check them regularly.
- Don't use space heaters or electric blankets, as both may be fire hazards.
- Install rails on stairways.
- Eliminate tripping hazards, such as loose runners.
- Use nightlights, and make sure all stairwells are well lit.
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
HealthDay news articles are derived from various sources and do not reflect federal policy. Womenshealth.gov does not endorse opinions, products, or services that may appear in news stories.
A federal government website managed by the Office on Women's Health in the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
200 Independence Avenue, S.W. • Washington, DC 20201