Subscribe to news email updates.
Health Tip: Manage Pain During Childbirth
(HealthDay News) -- Pain is a virtual certainty during childbirth, but there are ways to ease the discomfort without medication.
The womenshealth.gov website mentions these no-medication possibilities:
- Practicing relaxation and breathing techniques.
- Relaxing in a warm shower or bath, or getting a gentle massage.
- Receiving hot and cold therapy, including placing a cool washcloth on the forehead or a heating pad on the lower back.
- Seeking the care and support of a doula, nurse or loved one.
- Trying various positions to get more comfortable, from crouching to walking.
- Listening to soothing music.
- Using a labor ball.
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
HealthDay news articles are derived from various sources and do not reflect federal policy. Womenshealth.gov does not endorse opinions, products, or services that may appear in news stories.
A federal government website managed by the Office on Women's Health in the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
200 Independence Avenue, S.W. • Washington, DC 20201