Subscribe to news email updates.
Health Tip: Is it Time to Potty Train?
(HealthDay News) -- It's important to start potty training at the right time -- not before your child is ready.
The American Academy of Family Physicians says these signs indicate your child is ready for potty training, if he or she:
- Indicates a dirty diaper.
- Shows an interest in using the potty.
- Understands and follows simple instructions.
- Is uncomfortable in a dirty diaper.
- Can go at least two hours during the day with a dry diaper.
- Wakes from a nap with a dry diaper.
- Can pull pants up and down.
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
HealthDay news articles are derived from various sources and do not reflect federal policy. Womenshealth.gov does not endorse opinions, products, or services that may appear in news stories.
A federal government website managed by the Office on Women's Health in the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
200 Independence Avenue, S.W. • Washington, DC 20201