Subscribe to news email updates.
Health Tip: Prevent Falls During Holiday Decorating
(HealthDay News) -- Whether you're decorating your home or climbing to stash holiday packages, take care to avoid falls.
Falls are a leading cause of injury among older people. The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons suggests how you can help prevent them:
- If you use a ladder, make sure it's of the correct type and height for the job.
- Check out the ladder before use to make sure there is no damage and nothing is broken.
- Carry the ladder carefully.
- Place the ladder in a stable, safe position before you start climbing.
- Take care to hold onto the rails, avoid standing on the top rung and don't reach too far to the side.
- Do not climb a ladder if you feel tired or dizzy, or have been drinking alcohol.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
HealthDay news articles are derived from various sources and do not reflect federal policy. Womenshealth.gov does not endorse opinions, products, or services that may appear in news stories.
A federal government website managed by the Office on Women's Health in the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
200 Independence Avenue, S.W. • Washington, DC 20201