Subscribe to news email updates.
Health Tip: Opt for a Healthy Weight-Loss Plan
(HealthDay News) -- Fad diets may promise drastic and quick loss of weight, but may be dangerous and often fall short when it comes to long-term weight loss.
The American Academy of Family Physicians offers these suggestions for a selecting a healthy eating plan:
- Never skip meals, including breakfast.
- Eat a variety of nutritious foods, rather than sticking to just a few foods.
- Restrict consumption of sugar, sodium, saturated fats and cholesterol.
- Avoid beverages that are high in calories.
- Limit portion sizes.
- Get plenty of regular exercise. Increase daily physical activity in simple ways, such as by parking further from your destination.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
HealthDay news articles are derived from various sources and do not reflect federal policy. Womenshealth.gov does not endorse opinions, products, or services that may appear in news stories.
A federal government website managed by the Office on Women's Health in the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
200 Independence Avenue, S.W. • Washington, DC 20201