Subscribe to news email updates.
Health Tip: Pack Your Holiday Leftovers Carefully
(HealthDay News) -- When packing up your holiday leftovers, make sure they're properly stored to prevent foodborne illness.
The American Dietetic Association offers these suggestions for safe storage of your holiday leftovers:
- Make sure all storage containers are airtight and shallow.
- Place all leftovers in the refrigerator within two hours of cooking.
- Pull turkey off the bone and package it separately from stuffing and gravy.
- Eat refrigerated turkey, casseroles or cooked vegetables within three or four days; eat stuffing or gravy within one or two days.
- Eat pies made with cream or fruit within two or three days; cheesecake within seven days.
- Make sure leftovers are reheated to 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- If in doubt, throw it out.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
HealthDay news articles are derived from various sources and do not reflect federal policy. Womenshealth.gov does not endorse opinions, products, or services that may appear in news stories.
A federal government website managed by the Office on Women's Health in the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
200 Independence Avenue, S.W. • Washington, DC 20201