Subscribe to news email updates.
Health Tip: Breast-Feeding Is Good for Moms, Too
(HealthDay News) -- Breast-feeding has been proven more beneficial than formula for babies, but it also offers benefits for moms.
The womenshealth.gov website says potential benefits of breast-feeding include:
- Less time and effort during feedings, and not having to sterilize bottles or mix formula.
- Saving money from not having to buy formula.
- Opportunities for bonding and relaxing with the infant.
- Lower risk of health problems for the mother, including lower risk of breast and ovarian cancers, type 2 diabetes and postpartum depression.
- Fewer missed work days due to baby being sick less frequently.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
HealthDay news articles are derived from various sources and do not reflect federal policy. Womenshealth.gov does not endorse opinions, products, or services that may appear in news stories.
A federal government website managed by the Office on Women's Health in the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
200 Independence Avenue, S.W. • Washington, DC 20201