Subscribe to news email updates.
Health Tip: Make Your Garage Safer
(HealthDay News) -- The garage can be a prime spot for falls, accidents and injuries. But the U.S. Home Safety Council suggests how you can create a safer garage:
- Keep the floor and stairs clear of clutter, with good lighting throughout the garage.
- On any shelving, store heavier items closer to the ground.
- Install child-proof safety locks on any working refrigerators or freezers. If they don't work, remove the doors.
- Store any electrical tools or sharp tools out of the reach of children.
- Make sure all stairs have handrails, with bright lighting at the top and bottom.
- Clean up grease and other spills as they occur.
- Make sure the garage door has an auto-reverse feature, and test it to be sure it works properly.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
HealthDay news articles are derived from various sources and do not reflect federal policy. Womenshealth.gov does not endorse opinions, products, or services that may appear in news stories.
A federal government website managed by the Office on Women's Health in the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
200 Independence Avenue, S.W. • Washington, DC 20201