Subscribe to news email updates.
Health Tip: Focus on Preconception Health
(HealthDay News) -- Taking steps to better your health before you or your partner becomes pregnant can help ensure a healthier pregnancy.
The womenshealth.gov website offers this preconception advice:
- Take a daily supplement that contains at least 400 micrograms to 800 micrograms of folic acid.
- Quit drinking alcohol and smoking.
- Make sure any chronic health condition, such as diabetes, asthma, epilepsy or obesity, is well-controlled.
- Get any necessary vaccinations.
- Discuss any over-the-counter or prescription medications that you're taking with your doctor.
- Stay away from toxic substances.
- Avoid animal feces that could lead to infection.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
HealthDay news articles are derived from various sources and do not reflect federal policy. Womenshealth.gov does not endorse opinions, products, or services that may appear in news stories.
A federal government website managed by the Office on Women's Health in the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
200 Independence Avenue, S.W. • Washington, DC 20201