Subscribe to news email updates.
Health Tip: Why Am I on Bed Rest?
(HealthDay News) -- Doctors frequently order bed rest during pregnancy to protect the mother's health and that of the developing baby.
The Nemours Foundation says pregnant women are typically ordered to rest in bed if they:
- Have bleeding or early contractions.
- Had complications during a prior pregnancy, or a medical history that increases the risk of complications.
- Have high blood pressure or show certain changes in the cervix.
- Have a multiple pregnancy.
- Had a prior miscarriage, premature birth or stillbirth.
- Have a fetus that doesn't appear to be developing normally.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
HealthDay news articles are derived from various sources and do not reflect federal policy. Womenshealth.gov does not endorse opinions, products, or services that may appear in news stories.
A federal government website managed by the Office on Women's Health in the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
200 Independence Avenue, S.W. • Washington, DC 20201