Subscribe to news email updates.
Health Tip: Store Medications Safely
(HealthDay News) -- Storing medications properly can help preserve them and help keep them from getting into the wrong hands.
The Cleveland Clinic offers these medication-storage recommendations:
- Follow storage instructions on the medication. Unless otherwise specified, keep them in a cool, dark and dry place.
- Avoid leaving medications in your car, bathroom or near any source of water or dampness.
- Refrigerate medications only if it says to do so on the label.
- Make sure all medications are stored safely out of a child's reach.
- If using a pill organizer, make sure all medications are easily identified.
- Keep medications in original containers with lids tightly closed; dispose of medications that are expired or those you no longer need.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
HealthDay news articles are derived from various sources and do not reflect federal policy. Womenshealth.gov does not endorse opinions, products, or services that may appear in news stories.
A federal government website managed by the Office on Women's Health in the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
200 Independence Avenue, S.W. • Washington, DC 20201