Skip left navigation
Subscribe to Men's Health email updates.
Urinary health for men
Your urinary system (also called your urologic system) filters waste and extra fluid from your blood. Problems with your urinary system can include pain, not being able to hold your urine (urinary incontinence), or not being able to empty your urine.
Problems with urination can have several causes, including:
It is important to see a doctor if you are in pain or have any trouble with urination. Follow these links to learn more.
Return to top
More information on Urinary health for men
Explore other publications and websites
- Cytoscopy and Ureteroscopy - This publication provides an overview of cystoscopy and ureteroscopy, including how to prepare for these diagnostic procedures and what to expect from follow-up care. Additional resources are provided.
- Hematuria (Blood in the Urine) - This publication explains what hematuria is, why it occurs, and how it is treated.
- Imaging of the Urinary Tract - This fact sheet explains why a urinary tract imaging exam is performed and how to prepare for one. It also provides an overview of the urinary system, problems that can occur in the urinary tract, reasons to seek a doctor’s care, and reasons why a doctor may choose one imaging test over another.
- In Control: The Facts About Male Urinary Incontinence (Copyright © Men's Health Network) - This brochure offers options for coping with male urinary incontinence and strategies for treatment. It also describes the connection between prostate cancer and incontinence.
- Kidney and Urologic Diseases Materials - This web page features a listing of all the publications offered by the National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse.
- Painful Urination (Copyright © American Academy of Family Physicians) - This publication gives information on possible causes of painful urination, what to tell your doctor, the types of tests to have, how a urinary tract infection (UTI) is treated, and what to do if a UTI keeps coming back.
- Prostate Enlargement: Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia - This brochure discusses enlargement of the prostate gland, a common issue affecting men as they age. It also explains treatment options, from watchful waiting to surgery.
- Proteinuria - This fact sheet provides information on the signs and symptoms of proteinuria (abnormal protein levels in the urine) and kidney failure.
- Pyelonephritis (Kidney Infection) in Adults - This publication discusses pyelonephritis, a kidney infection that usually results from bacteria that have spread from the bladder.
- Urinary Tract Infection in Adults - This publication provides information on the causes, symptoms, and possible treatment methods for urinary tract infections in adults.
- Your Urinary System and How It Works - This publication gives information on how the body removes waste products from the blood. Also, it explains what causes urinary system problems and how these problems are detected and treated.
Connect with other organizations
Content last updated: January 10, 2011.
Return to top